Become a Priceless Employee by Working Smarter
It’s no secret that in these tough economic times, employees around the country are looking for ways to stand out from the competition. It can be tempting to put in extra hours so that your dedication comes across as impressive, but most managers are just as likely (if not more likely) to notice you if you get more done in less time. If your goal is to be the “priceless” item in your boss’s version of an American Express commercial, try training yourself to work smarter, rather than harder.
Here are a few simple ways to manage your workday in a “smarter” way:
- If there are lots of small tasks to accomplish, break them up into chunks and set a timer to keep you on task. Get as much done within that “chunk” you created before the timer goes off!
Don’t Duck the Difficult
- Dedicate 30 to 60 minutes to a challenging issue or project. Don’t put it off or let it get the best of you.
Curb your Communication
- Designate a select amount of time for Emails and Cell Phone usage to optimize productivity.
- Create your own progress bar and fill it in as you work on a lengthy project. Remind yourself of how far you’ve come and how much of the task is left.
Keep positive feedback
- Save all of the positive feedback you receive from your bosses and coworkers. When you’re having a bad day, let these items remind you that you have done good work and can do it again! Strive to have your positive feedback folder overflowing!
Review your ideas before presenting them
- Before you respond to an Email, speak up in a meeting, or begin researching an idea, take a few minutes for self-assessment. Is this idea really a good one? The added time you spend may result in scrapping a bad idea before it wastes everyone else’s time or improving an already good idea.
Take Care of You
Work in Blocks
- Get as much work done as you can in 20 minute blocks. Then, take a walk to the water cooler, go to the bathroom, or do a quick stretch. Give your brain a short refresh! Staying locked into one thought process for too long will create more time for distraction and less work will be accomplished.
Keep your mind sharp
- Never stop learning. Spend some time every day – or a few times a week – researching and educating yourself on trends and news that can make you more valuable in your position. Everyone, including you, can benefit from new and exciting ideas.
Remember, great workers don’t always have to show how much they work. Getting more accomplished during your regular hours can be just as – if not more- impressive! When you become a more efficient and effective employee, you become more valuable to your employer. Let J&J Staffing Resources help you find your new employer today!